Recycling & Hazardous Waste








Remember NOT to add trash into the Recycle Bins. If you are using a plastic trash bag to transport your recyclables please dump them and take your bag with you. We do not want this recycling location to be eliminated due to failure to comply.

Recycling Bins

There are bins located East of KO Storage off of State Hwy 210 on Alfalfa Trail SW.  More bins are located in the City of Pillager by the Fair Grounds. These bins are labeled as to what you can put in them.

May Transfer Site - Cty 1

2 ½ miles west of the Junction of Cass County Roads 1 and 34
Hours: Mon - Fri 8-3:30 pm & Sat 9-2

Pine River/Cass Co. Transfer/Recycling Facilities

2 Miles North of Pine River on Hwy 371

May and Pine River Transfer Stations allow residents of Cass County to bring in 4 tires (off the rims), 1 appliance, and unlimited electronics for disposal at no cost each month.  Furniture, Mattresses, and Box Springs are $5 each.  Trash can be brought in by the bag or by the pound for a fee.

All Recycling Bins and Centers are controlled by Cass County.  If you have questions it is best to reach out to them at the Pine River Transfer Station 218-587-3500.

What is Hazardous Waste (HWH)?

  • Chemical products that have signal words on the labels such as Caution, Warning, Danger, Poison, Flammable, Combustible, and Corrosive.
  • Used Motor Oil may be dropped off during regular hours of operation at all transfer sites except Crooked lake.  Residents may pour waste oil from their private containers into the designated used oil tank.  Separate 55 gallon drums are available at each location for disposal of used oil filters.
  • Electronics
  • Other examples are listed below under Household Hazardous Waste

Acceptable Hazardous Waste Items

  • Old gas
  • Engine de-greasers
  • Stain / paint / paint products
  • Pesticides
  • Pool chemicals
  • Tar
  • Oven cleaners
  • Aerosol products
  • Mothballs
  • Drain cleaners
  • Mercury products
  • Fluorescent bulbs (homeowners and businesses)
  • Old electronics - T.V.s, computers, monitors, printers, and other related equipment (No business waste)

Unacceptable Hazardous Waste Items

  • Used motor oil
  • Oil filters
  • Antifreeze
  • Unusual joint compound
  • Explosives
  • Radioactive wastes

Small Businesses

May qualify for another program to help them with hazardous waste disposal. Call the HHW number above for more details.